A review article in English: The White Sea – an Exotic Sea of the Russian North

“The White Sea, now the only inland sea in Russia, is a semiclosed basin connected with the Barents Sea through Gorlo and Voronka. Voronka and the Mezen Bay are also assigned to the White Sea. The geographic bound ary of the White and Barents seas passes along the line Svyatoi Nos Cape – Kanin Nos Cape.
Throughout the ages the White Sea have played an important role in economy of the North and North West of Russia. Many important events and stages in formation of Russia as a sea-power are associated with the White Sea”.

An article, in English, about the White Sea and scientific research on the White Sea, by A. P. Alekseev and V. G. Kulachkova “The White Sea – an Exotic Sea of the Russian North” (PDF: Alekseev_Kulachkova_The White Sea – an Exotic Sea of the Russian North_1999)

White Sea in late November. Photo by Gennady Alexandrov

Day of eared jellyfish

74

There are two types of jellyfish living in the White Sea: Aurelia aurita and Cyanea capillata. Aurelia aurita is also called “Eared jellyfish” even though it has no ears. It got its name from its bright and clearly visible reproductive gonads.

Aurelia sometimes comes close to the coastline and gets stranded on the beach, or is thrown out by the storm. But never before have we seen so many jellyfish as we did yesterday.

62

more >>

Our traditional August vacation in Kuzomen has started

This is one of the easiest yet most interesting routes around the Kola Peninsula. You can do that alone or by hiring Uncle Pasha as your driver, guide, and translator.

34

Below are travel notes from the first two days on the road. These are useful (facts) and useless (beautiful sights). more >>

Dalnie Zelentsy, Barents Sea. A small overview.

Dalniye Zelentsy is a village on the Barents Sea coast, 170km east from Murmansk.

184

From 1935 to the beginning of the 1990s the Murmansk Biological Station (from 1958 the Biological Station of the Murmansk Sea Biology Institute) was active there. The purmanent population of the village was about 600, which included both scientists and technical personnel from among the locals. Presently the biological station is abandoned, and about 10 permanently live there. Some biologists visit the station in the summer. more >>