Urgent Moscow related stuff and anything I deem valuable enough to add here, eg. fresh accommodation offers, are in Categories > Moscow below.
An alternative accommodation options, not for everyone but here is the story.
Near the Kiev highway, 40 min. by car from Metro Yugo-Zapadnaya. 7km from Station Selyatino, about an hour by car or train from the south-west end of Moscow. A bus from Metro Teply Stan will take you to within walking distance to the dacha.
I’ve been asked several times over the last month what’s the big fuss about the proposed plans to knock down several thousand of Moscow’s outdated (mostly from the 1950s and 1960s) buildings. Here is an article, in English, summarizing what’s wrong with mayor Sobyanin’s project. And here is another one from The Moscow Times explaining why scores of Muscovites are not that happy about the authorities’ big plans.
A few days ago I’ve run into a hostel offering beds of the sort like on the picture above for mere 600 roubles/night (just under $10). What’s more, it is at Starovagankovsky pereulok, literally across the road from the main entrance to the Kremlin. Their second location is in Old Arbat, which is pretty good too. I am hereby sharing this info with budget travel enthusiasts. The hostel site is only in Russian but the staff speak English, and most clients seems to be travellers from distant lands. A few more hostels of the same class noticed in the area but I’ve had no occasion to inspect them in person. All-in-all I’d say Moscow, as well as the rest of the country, is at the cheapest to travel to it’s been in the last 10-15 years.
Irrived in Moscow yesterday at 11:35am. First impressions after being away for over two years:
(1) Neatness and cleanliness leaning towards glamour.
(2) Huge police presence.
(3) A conspicuous number of Muslim-dressed people seen on Moscow streets.
(4) The traffic situation appears to be less of a problem than three years ago although this impression may be misleading as I arrived on Saturday, when traffic is not always high.
(5) Lots of bicycles. The colour of the season is white. And folding kick scooters all over not seen at all in 2013 Moscow.
(6) Public bicycle rental is all over, both in the city center and in the outskirts.