Hope the following gets a chuckle out of you. Too bad “sniffing” it with a piece of brown bread was not included, the hard-core drinker style.
Irrived in Moscow yesterday at 11:35am. First impressions after being away for over two years:
(1) Neatness and cleanliness leaning towards glamour.
(2) Huge police presence.
(3) A conspicuous number of Muslim-dressed people seen on Moscow streets.
(4) The traffic situation appears to be less of a problem than three years ago although this impression may be misleading as I arrived on Saturday, when traffic is not always high.
(5) Lots of bicycles. The colour of the season is white. And folding kick scooters all over not seen at all in 2013 Moscow.
(6) Public bicycle rental is all over, both in the city center and in the outskirts.
The highlight of yesterday was eating a large salmon, washed down with two beers on my part, and a bottle of champaign for the two of us.
That’s what happened when I attempted feeding baby crowns that live at the nature reserve cottage in Luvenga. I hearby officially classify it as the “misfortune of the day”. Their feet are hard with sharp claws!
P.S. from Alexandra. Not everything is so terrible.
Baby crow is cute and clever creature. Pasha is too inclined to to demonize the crows more >>
From a ruin in Niva-3, a suburb of Kandalaksha near the Aluminum smelter.
Added to my collection of oddities..
See Alexandra’s blog for a collection of photos from our recent exploratory trip.
Introducing Dimitry Lapa, a translator, a religious history expert, and a programmer. He has greatly helped Alexandra by consulting her for her article on British church history, and I’m trying to return the favour. Here is a summary based on his resume and our correspondence:
Education: Two degrees, one is mathematician-programmer, and another religious studies.
Native Russian, fluent professional English, some German.
Over 100 publications.
But he is out of work. He is blind.
It is Alexandra’s and mine idea to tell the world about him. Please read the text below that consists of fragments of his resume and correspondence with Alexandra. Just read and make a note there is such a person. Who is not asking money from anyone nor shouting around about his situation. He is just a well-qualified expert who wants to find a job to make a living. Perhaps one of you happens to be in a position to help, thus..