Kashkarantsy is a village in the Ter district of the Murmansk region, population as of 2002 was 88 people, located 100km from the district center of Umba.
First Kashkarantsy was mentioned in the second half of the 15th century as a fishing location used by Novgorod the Great and then by the Solovky Monastery. The village had 13 houses in 1839, 18 in 1954, 37 in 1900, 60 in 1914, a church built in 1895, and a school was opened in 1899. Under the Soviets Kashkarantsy became “Fishing collective farm named after Stalin” after whose death it’s been renamed “Peredovik” (“advanced worker”).
No year-round population rigth now in Kashkarantsy. No work. The locals make a living by fishing and berry picking. The overall appearance of the village is rather forlorn and windswept.
A sign of progress – guest houses in Kashkarantsy:
- +7 911 342 5950, +7 911 340 6184
- +7 (815-33) 9-31-00
Doors are still “locked” the old-fashioned way. A stick left leaning against the door indicates that the owner is away.
Electricity is available several hours a day. The wind turbine power the telephone.
A sign “Library, Kashkarantsy section” has been noticed.
A memorial to Kashkarantsy residents killed in the 1941-1945 war.
A light house and a meteostation:
A small settlement around the lighthouse looks well compared to the rest of the village. They have their own diesel generator, and six families live and work there year round. The lighthouse is operated by the Ministry of Defence.
The Church of the Tikhvin Icon of the Holy Virgin
From the old days (no later than 1669) there was a chappel in honour of the Tikhvin Icon of the Holy Virgin. In 1866 it was made into a church that burned to the ground in 1894. A new one was built in 1895. There is a story that its construction was financed by Pollish merchant Konrad Galter who was shipwrecked but saved by the residents of Kashkarantsy. The church was closed in 1932 under the Soviets and the building use as a rural club. In 2002 the building was transferred back to the church and restored.
The miraculous icon of Tikhvin is said to have saved the village from an unusual natural phenomenon during the night from Jan. 4 to Jan. 5 1888, when a wall of ice started moving towards Kashkarantsy from the sea, breaking boats, houses, and barns. The icon was brought forward, and the movement of ice stopped.
The chapel of the Nameless Monk of Ter
Also known as the Chappel of the Venerable Nameless Monk of Kashkarantsy.
8km east from Kashkarantsy, on the 108th kilometer of the Umba to Varzuga road, on the coast there is a small chappel, with a spring nearby. The place is known from the XVI century, when fishermen pulled a net with the body of a monk. The monk was burried right there on the seashore, and a spring soon opened up. Soon both the spring and the chappel attracted warshipers from among the fishermen. The chappel was destroyed in the middle of the XXth century but the place remained marked with a cross. Services over the grave resumed in 2001, and a new chappel was built in 2003.
Based on literature review, stories by locals, and our own visits to Kashkarantsy in August 2012.