Kuzreka was first mentioned in the Solovetsky Monastery annals in 1591 as a seasonal fishermen settlement belonging to Umba peasants. In 1684 a salt-boiling operation on the Kuzreka was listed among the monastery’s possessions.
In the XVIII century the settlement started being called a “village”. In 1871 it had 13 households and 72 residents, and in 1900 16 households and 94 residents. According to the 1926 census it has 141 people, 1938 – 186, and 1939 – 280.
Kuzreka reached its highest point of development in the Soviet days, when a fishing collective called “Zarya” (“dawn”) was set up there. On one side of River Kuzomen lived Pomors, who were into fishing, and on the other migrants from the Arkhangelsk region, who worked for a logging operation. There was a school, a medical center, and a store at the village. A floating bridge connected the two sides.
At the end of 1960s the collective farm was dismantled, and the village was classified as “lacking perspective”, and in 1979 it was deprived of the village status. At the moment it is considered a dacha settlement with no permanent population. No electricity, no medical center, no post office, and no store. The village however looks and feels quite alive. Solid older houses are mixed with fun-looking new dachas. Old-timers come every summer, and nearly all dacha owners have local roots.